Print Page
Email Page

Award Acceptance & Administration

Account Management

How do I manage transactions for my project?

Tool Kit


Institutional Audit Report:

Submit Underwrite Request:

Once an award is received, and once a contract and grant account is established, the business personnel in the investigator's department may place expenses incurred for the purpose of the project on the account. Financial transactions are initiated, reviewed and processed in the University's Financial Information System (FIS) by various financial organizations, including Office of Research Administration. The EPIC (Electronic Procurement and Invoicing Center) system is available for purchase order requisitions. Office of Research Administration staff members monitor the overall integrity of financial transactions on grant accounts to ensure that they meet agency and University guidelines.

The University's Financial Information System (FIS) and EPIC are both available through OneStart under the 'Administrative Systems' tab.

What are the federal guidelines for management?

The Federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circulars apply only to federal or federal pass through awards. The Circulars do NOT apply to awards from non-federal sources. Learn More >

How do I get a summary of the financial status?

See: MyRA - My Research Administration

What expenses are usually unallowable?

In addition to the limitations set by current I.U. Policy (See: Policies) each agency has its own guidelines regarding what is and is not allowable, so the guidelines and terms and conditions of the award should be consulted for specific limitations. The federal government has given guidance to educational institutions as to the type of costs allowed and/or not allowed on federal or federal pass through accounts. Federal OMB Circular A-21 gives specific guidance on items of cost. Learn More >

How may program income be used?

Occasionally an account in the contract and grant fund group will incur income from a source not connected to the sponsoring agency. Learn More >

Timeliness of transfers

To make an account change to a previously approved and booked expense is called a "cost transfer". Cost transfers are to be made within 90 days of the booking of the original expense. Learn More >


An overdraft occurs when expenses booked to an account total more than the awarded budget or more than the income that has been received. Learn More >

NSF REU Participant Expense Guidance

The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program supports active research participation by undergraduate students in any of the areas of research funded by the National Science Foundation. REU projects involve students in meaningful ways in ongoing research programs or in research projects specifically designed for the REU program. Learn More >

RASD | Browser Recommendations | Webmaster | IU Emergency System | Big 10 Data | Office Information | Site Map