Print Page
Email Page

ECO a Valuable Resource for Overseas Travelers — Beware of Export Control Laws

March 31, 2009 - Are you planning to travel abroad in the near future? Do you plan to take your University issued laptop computer, digital storage device or any encryption products with you? Export control laws may require you to obtain a license or license exception under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) prior to taking information stored on these devices or the devices themselves overseas. Export controls are laws that prohibit the unlicensed export of certain items or technologies for reasons of national security and/or protection of trade. Violation of these laws and regulations may result in substantial fines and possible prison time.

Do not be alarmed! The IU Bloomington and Indianapolis Export Controls Offices (ECO) are here to help. The ECO can help determine if your University issued electronic components require a license prior to an international departure. Tips for international travel, including a list of sanctioned and restricted parties and entities with whom IU is prohibited by federal law from doing business with, are also available through the ECO. Contact the ECO at with any questions concerning your international travel and/or export controls.