02-4  Obsolete

Routing of Sponsored Projects Documents
April 17, 2002

Indiana University requires that all proposals to external agencies requesting funds and/or committing University resources (e.g., personnel, space, funds, equipment, etc.) are to be reviewed and signed by an authorized University official.

The routing form, called the "Route Sheet for Extramural Support" in Bloomington, and the "Route Sheet for Transmitting External Proposals and Other Documents" in Indianapolis, is the University form used to obtain this approval. The Route Sheet summarizes the significant administrative contents of a sponsored program request.  It also serves to indicate any special needs, transmit the request, and assure concurrence by the project director’s department, school or unit administration. 

A Route Sheet must be used for any of the following:

The above documents will be transmitted only after each person responsible for committing University resources and approving obligations required by the project have indicated their approval by signing the Route Sheet, which accompanies each request.  These documents are routed through the submitting and all collaborating departments, the dean or administrative unit head for each, and then to the appropriate research office.  

The East, Kokomo, Northwest, South Bend, Southeast campus proposals are routed from the department chair to the Academic Affairs office, Business Manager, Chancellor and then to the Sponsored Research Service office in Bloomington.

Routing Electronic Proposals

As more funding agencies develop systems that allow proposals and related documents to be submitted electronically it is easy to lose sight of the routing procedure, especially when funding agencies appear to be encouraging individuals to submit proposals directly to the agency.  Electronic proposals continue to be under the same guidelines as paper proposals and must receive institutional review and approval prior to submission to the funding agency. 

Electronic submissions take various forms including preparation of the proposal directly on an agency’s web site or electronic transmission of files.  In all cases, the appropriate number of paper copies for internal use should be routed for institutional review.  Once approved, the research office will either submit the proposal electronically or notify the project director to proceed with the electronic submission.  Contact the appropriate research office for instructions or guidance.

 See also: Financial Policy III-20 “Negotiating with Agencies and Routing Proposals” http://www.indiana.edu/~vpcfo/policies/contract/iii-20.html


Financial Management Services Phone:  (812) 855-4884 Email:  cgadmin@indiana.edu
Research and Sponsored Programs - Indianapolis Phone:  (317) 274-8285 Email:  rspinfo@iupui.edu
Sponsored Research Services - Bloomington Phone:  (812) 855-0516 Email:  resdev@indiana.edu
Research and University Graduate School Phone:  (812) 855-3963 Email:  stemarti@indiana.edu