NIH Continuation Applications
January 12, 1995
The National Institutes of Health published in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts dated October 28, 1994 guidelines to streamline the non-competing continuation applications. The instructions apply to R01, R03, R13, R15, R18, R21, R24, R25, R29, R37, R42, R44 and all K series awards. The following should be used in conjunction with the instructions in the PHS 2590 application kit.
After reviewing the continuation application, program or grants management staff may require additional information to evaluate the project for continued funding. Failure to provide this information in a timely manner will result in a delayed award. If a project or grantee organization requires closer monitoring by NIH staff, the project and/or organization may be exempted from using the simplified non-competing continuation application procedures.
- Complete the face page (form page 1), the Progress Report Summary (form page 6), the personnel and study subjects page (form page 7), the checklist page (form page 8), and provide a brief, two page, progress report (tables and/or figures that summarize key accomplishments may be in addition to the two pages). It is not necessary to complete the indirect cost portion of the checklist page unless there is a change in performance site.
- Answers to the following questions should be inserted before the progress report.
- Has there been a change in other support of key personnel since the last reporting period? If yes, form page 5 of the PHS 2590 application kit must be completed. If no, so state.
- Will there be, in the next budget period, significant rebudgeting of funds and/or change in level of effort for key personnel from what was approved for this project? If yes, the budget page (form page
2) and the budget justification page (form page 3) of the PHS 2590 kit must be completed. If no, so
- Any estimated unobligated balance (including prior year carryover) that is greater than 25 percent of the current year's total budget or more than $250,000 must be explained.
If under 2.b. a budget justification sheet is not required by NIH, an internal budget should be forwarded with the PHS 2590 application and the route sheet. This will allow the research office and FMS-Contract and Grant Administration to have sufficient detail to establish the budget into the project account.